It’s a common misconception that all long-term care is the same. This just isn’t the case as different people have varying needs. This is especially true for people who are more advanced in age as they tend to have more specific needs than the rest of the general population. Considering how important it is to get the right type of long-term care services, it would be best to familiarize yourself with all of the different kinds of long-term care services.
To help you out with this, we’ve prepared a brief article talking about long-term care services. If this is something that you want to learn more about, read on as we break down the different types of long-term care services that you have to know about.
Popular Long Term Care Options
There are a slew of different long-term care options available today. They are designed to cater to individuals with specific needs. Here are a few of the most popular long-term care options that you should know about:
- Assisted Living: Assisted living combines housing and health care services. Residents enjoy a private or semi-private space with all the amenities that they’ll ever need. What’s great about this type of long-term care is that it allows the individual a certain degree of freedom with the space of the assisted living facility.
- Alzheimer’s or Dementia Care: Most if not all assisted living facilities have a designated space for individuals that are living with Alzheimer’s or dementia. These facilities are designed to keep individuals safe all while taking care of their overall well-being. The staff for these types of facilities is specially trained to handle individuals with cognitive impairments.
- Skilled Nursing Facilities: Similar to assisted living facilities, nursing facilities also provide individuals a space to live their lives. What makes these facilities different is that they also provide around-the-clock care for individuals needing medical attention. Most skilled nursing facilities also offer rehabilitation services
Long Term Care Services Offered
Long-term care facilities offer a wide array of valuable services. To sum things up, here are common services that these facilities provide:
- Professionally-trained staff or geriatric nursing specialists
- Medication management assistance
- Staff that are responsible for aiding individuals with activities of daily living: bathing, dressing, grooming, eating, and mobility
- Personalized care plans designed for each individual’s needs
- Senior rehabilitative therapies, including physical, occupational, and speech therapies
- Diabetes management with specialized diet plans
- Post-hospital care
It’s important to note that some long-term care facilities will come with more services that we didn’t include here. The thing you have to understand about these types of facilities is that they are designed to accommodate the needs of the residents so it will be hard to narrow down all the services that they have to offer.
We hope this article proves to be useful when it comes to helping you best understand long-term care services. As you can see, the different types vary widely from one another. This is why it’s best to be knowledgeable about the different types so you can pick the best one that suits the needs of each individual.
If you’re looking for home health services, then Bridge Home Health and Hospice is the way to go. Our experienced clinicians and therapists are more than capable of providing your loved ones with the highest quality home-based patient care that’s built around the overall respect for human dignity. For more information on our services, contact us today!