Summertime is the time people look forward to the most, especially in California. This state is a top summer destination in the US because of its impressive scenery, beautiful nature-gift beauty, and relaxing sunshine. However, not everyone shares the same opinion about summer. For the millions of seniors suffering from asthma or allergies, the warm season is not the most exciting time of the year.
How Summer Affects the Allergic and Asthmatic Elderly
For these people, the warm weather can increase the severity of their asthma and allergy symptoms. These include mild irritation and can be as intense and even life-threatening in the most severe cases. Some of these symptoms are:
- Repeated sneezing
- Runny nose
- Post-nasal drip
- Watery or itchy eyes
- Breathing difficulties, and more
Triggers of these symptoms, such as pollen, grass, mold, dust, smoke, and pests, are also more prevalent during this season.
How Hiring an In-Home Care Specialist Can Help
For families taking care of their allergic or asthmatic elderly at home, dealing with these kinds of symptoms might be scary and stressful, especially if you have no idea how to adequately manage the situation. The good thing is that you can get in-home care help from home health care agencies to assist when you need it.
Here are the various ways they can help improve the situation:
1. They Are Well-Aware of the Triggers.
Prevention is always better than cure. An in-home care specialist is well-versed with the different triggers for people with asthma and allergies. Because they are familiar with the triggers, they know what to do to prevent them. When your senior family member experiences an asthma attack, they could explain the situation better to the doctor so your loved one can get the urgent treatment they need.
2. They Can Adjust the Patient’s Activities.
Going out to breathe fresh air or walk is an activity that the elderly love to do. However, they need to be extra careful, especially with pollens and grass in the outdoors. An in-home care service provider can adjust the patient’s schedule of activities to avoid these allergy triggers when they peak at various times of the day.
3. Keep an Eye on Them Indoors.
An in-home care provider would also know the dos and don’ts inside the home. Here are some of the duties they might implement:
- They are well aware that triggers could enter the house from the outside. Therefore, they can keep all windows and doors closed as much as possible, particularly during peak hours.
- They will regularly clean the place to ensure it is free from irritants like dust, mold, and dander.
- They would regularly replace the bedsheets and the patient’s clothes, especially when they came from the outside.
- They know that certain cleaning products can also trigger allergic reactions and recommend safer alternatives.
- They can ensure that they take their medications on time and as often as required.
If there is any family member who needs help during this time of the year, it should be those with asthma and allergies, most especially when they are seniors. Hiring a professional to keep an eye on your elderly loved ones can ensure they do not suffer from allergy or asthma attacks. They would also be able to give them the comfort, treatment, and convenience that they need in all aspects of their lives.
If you are looking for a senior health service provider in California that you can hire in-house, get in touch with us at Bridge Home Health. We are committed to providing the highest quality home-based patient care in an atmosphere of respect for human dignity. If you need assistance, contact us at (800) 476-0043.